Thursday 17 May 2012

and another- the end

Six months later, in a different city, with a different girl, I was more than three quarters in love.  The girl from the bench on Rembrandtplein came to visit me.  Her blue eyes were in again.  Dancing one night in a club in Picardy Place, she swivelled me by the hip and pulled me close.  She edged in towards that long-awaited kiss.  Surprising myself, I turned my other cheek.  I've changed, I thought as I pulled away.

"Why do you think I came here?" she demanded, but experience told me it was just another test.  She wanted to know that she was powerful.  She bought me shots and I didn't complain because I didn't mind.

We went home to my narrow room and I slept on the floor.  Lay awake on the floor, actually, with a nearly overwhelming, almost vengeful desire to say yes for all the times that she'd said no.  I didn't, though.  I waited for her to fall asleep (still expecting me, no doubt, to change my mind.) 

Then I read until it grew light outside and closed my eyes as she fluttered hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment