Tuesday 15 May 2012

Brighton

The  Brighton weekend was really good.  Bond & Bells are going to Cambodia and, since they are going to be away for Christmas, they were hosting a "Christmas" dinner.  It was so perfect!  We pulled crackers and had a lucky dip of gifts- each person had to bring a present worth around 3 pounds, so we all got something.  Then intoxicants were passed and conversations had with intoxicated intensity/ levity, whichever seemed appropriate to whichever conversation.  On "Boxing Day" it was sunny enough to sit outside.  We fought the onset of the predicted crash with more intoxicants still.  I'm not certain anybody ate all day.  Time started to quicken and I stayed another night, then travelled shakily home.  It was a good way to say 'bye to them.

Last night I got an e-mail to say I have an interview for an internship at Penguin!  Things are happening for me.  I feel as if things are racing towards something,  as if I am lucky in a way I can't grasp a sense of deserving.  But I grasp a sense of gratitude, for sure.

Although- it is a 6 month internship.  If I get it, it is a stark and life-changing choice between Penguin and uni.  The internship is paid.  The career it would lead to would be completely and utterly different to the one I have been considering (academia) and I have serious doubts about my capability, long-term, in the world of publishing.  But it is an amazing opportunity.  So if I come to the bridge- and it is a big "if", don't get me wrong- it will be a tough one to cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment